Friday, March 13, 2009

A Question

So, I've been thinking lately. I wonder if this whole college thing is taking me down the path I want. It's a struggle. I'm not going to lie. Trying to stay up after Am goes to bed just to get my homework done is never fun. Writing a 5 page paper in a day isn't either. The thing is, I'm not so sure my major is the one I should be going for. Let's look at the things I love:

  • Being right (I know, don't we all?)
  • Books
  • Performing- acting & singing
  • Creative Writing- poetry, lyrics, prose, etc.
  • Being appreciated/acknowledged
  • Working by myself, at least as much as possible- I'm a social person in select settings.
  • Parenting- Like any other parent I've done my best to be well-educated in this arena.
  • Arts & Crafts- I'm kind of a jack-of-all-trades here. I'm able to do different types of projects but I'm not exactly an expert in any one area. So yeah, selling stuff is out right now.
  • Having a Direct Impact- I like being able to know that what I'm doing matters for someone. I LOVE volunteering.
  • Travel and Adventure- You know those people who wouldn't mind white water rafting or bungee jumping off a bridge? Yeah, I'm one of them.
Now, I HAVE been attending college part-time, thinking I'll go teach high school english and theater courses when I'm done. When I became a parent I enrolled. I had always wanted to act or direct those plays myself. Unfortunately those jobs can come and go. I settled on the idea of teaching instead in the hopes of a steady salary and benefits. I'm just not so sure I should be settling anymore. Being a parent has made feel this need to plant my roots. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it, if I shouldn't be looking for other options which might make my happier. This might mean unschooling and living an abnormal life but I want to try to stay true to the person I am and raise Am in a happy household, whether it's just the two of us or more.

So, I'll put it you. If you were me, with my interests, what kind of career would you pursue?

No comments: