Thursday, January 29, 2009

Review- Twilight


So I finished reading Twilight last night (well, this morning at 2:30 techhhnically.) I figured if I was gonna keep bashing it then at the very least I had a responsibility to read it and remake my judgement. With everyone gushing so much I figured I'd probably end up loving it despite myself.

I was wrong.

The book was certainly not great. It wasn't terrible either. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most of its fan have probably never picked up Laurell K Hamilton or Anne Rice. Now THOSE are good supernatural stories. This was just so-so, good enough for me to place a hold for the next book in the series, bad enough for me to have no interest in ever owning a copy.

I thought about it a little after the fact- exactly what was it that made this fall flat for me? The answer was surprisingly easy to find. The main character of the book, Bella, is apparently completely incapable of taking care of herself. If she ever does become a vamp later in the series hopefully it'll take care of that problem though I have a sneaking suspicion she'd probably botch that too. For now it was more than a little annoying.

Sure, it's great that she's slightly brave and all but really, why would I want to read about a character who constantly needs her boytoy to rescue her. Heck, even in the trashiest romance novels the heroine ALWAYS plays a part in her own rescue. On the rare occasions when she doesn't then she still faces down her attacker with courage. All that happened here was that ol' Bella hoped she'd die a quick death and that her love wouldn't "avenge her." Come on girls, we can do much better than that! I know if my day ever came like that you can bet to high heck I'd be grabbing for the glass off the floor to use as a weapon.

This book was so annoyingly stereotypical for me- it seemed to be written by a woman who had never grown of out her childhood prince charming fantasies. You know the one- she's still dreaming come high school only now she needs a vampire fantasy to fit with all of her angst. I mean, the vampires sparkle like diamonds! IS there any way she could make them more feminine?

I give this book a 6.5/10. The extra half point is for the teaser in the back- at least the next book sounds a bit more interesting.

No comments: