Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Just Because The Pantry's Stocked...

...Doesn't mean we shouldn't still go shopping. First of all let me point out one Q & A from the All You Challenge Blog:

If I don’t spend the full amount I’m allotted one week, can I add the difference to the following week?

No, sorry! Please try to stick to the budget of $25 per person per week.

Yes, you heard them. That means if I had chosen to skip the store I'd be missing out on a stockportunity.

So how did I do?

Let's just say it was decent but not within my personal goal.

Here's what I bought....

  • Wild Harvest Organic Dried Beans, 2 Bags- sale, $1.99 each
  • Wild Harvest Organic Canned Tomatoes- sale, $1.59 each
  • 100% Whole Wheat "Natural" Bread- $1.78
  • 12 Refrigerated Flour Tortillas- $2.00 (I thought these were organic but they were just "fine foods.")
  • Cub Signature Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast- $3.29 per lb, $3.88 (Again, they had so many things placed together. I thought I had bought Wild Harvest only to find I had bought the wrong brand.)
  • Organic Bananas- sale @ $0.77 per lb, $3.67
  • Farm Stand (local) Washington Apples- $3.99
  • Morningstar Veggie Chicken- $3.99
  • Morningstar Veggie Steak- $3.99
  • Cub Skim Milk Twin Pack- $3.92
  • Pediasure, 6 Pk- $9.99
  • Kraft 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese- $2.98
  • 5 oz Alouette Creme de Brie Cheese, Original- $4.99

Subtotal: $50.75

Now the fun part, the savings...

  • -$0.75/2 Cub Morningstar Coupon
  • -$0.56 Cub Milk Twin Pack Coupon
  • -$2 for the $10/10 Products Kelloggs Rebate (Morningstar qualifies)
  • -$1 Pediasure Coupon
  • -$8.99 Pediasure Rebate
  • -$2.98 Kraft Cheese Rebate
  • -$4.99 Alouette Cheese Rebate

End Total (drum roll please): $29.48!

I messed up by not calculating the Morningstar stuff before I checked out so I ended up over my $25 goal. As long as I didn't go over $50 I'm still technically fine. I figure a savings of $21.27 isn't too bad. That's a little over 40%, which is nice.

So, what did we learn today?

Always double check when buying organic. Stores have wised up to the organic trend and are stocking "natural" items nearby as yet another way to cash in. If you don't watch it you might end up like me- overcharged for non organic items that strive to look organic. Also, it might not be a bad idea to take a pen with and mark down the prices as you add items to the cart. This way you can double check the calculator total at the end.

Well, live and learn, right?

1 comment:

Jennie Shutt said...

"That means if I had chosen to skip the store I'd be missing out on a stockportunity."


I totally agree that is why I have chosen to still spend during the challenge when I know I could go the whole moth without buying anything but milk & eggs.